What to look for in Hiring a Massachusetts OUI Lawyer?
With so many lawyers out there claiming to be specialized in drunk driving defense, it is difficult to determine your best option.
What is my Process when you meet with me?
My process is as follows when a new client comes in. I want to make sure they understand the initial license suspensions and how the case will proceed through court. Often, I will review the police report to provide my initial thoughts on the case. I provide a detailed intake form that I request the person to fill out to provide me more information about the issues in the case. The initial appointment frequently takes between 30 and 45 minutes for me to answer questions and explain the court process and license issues.Should I handle a lawyer who handles mainly OUI case or a general practicing lawyer?
What separates Attorney DelSignore from the majority of lawyers you will call, is that I handle almost exclusively drunk driving cases. I attend advance seminars on defending drunk driving cases and typically will attend at least two per year. In addition, I teach lawyers in Massachusetts about OUI defense and answer questions for other lawyers everyday when in court and on the phone. When you come to my office, you will see the following:
- Every Police DUI Training Manual
- Charts on the one leg stand, walk and turn
- Trial Exhibits on Reasonable doubt
- Every major National DUI Book
Trial experience: In most cases, Massachusetts drunk driving cases must go to trial to avoid a DUI conviction.
Understanding of the Science of defending a DUI case:
Massachusetts DUI law is one of the more complex areas of criminal defense because chemical test and blood test evidence can be very technical and dependent on scientific knowledge.
Attorney DelSignore will explain to you the science behind breathalyzer testing at your initial office visit and can explain new trends and methods of defending DUI cases.
How much time will the lawyer spend on my case?
When you hire Attorney DelSignore, you will understand the process and the steps to prepare the case for trial. The following is a brief summary of the typical steps in an OUI case.
- Client will complete the intake form.
- The client will have attended the first court date and have a second date for pretrial hearing;
- Between the pretrial and any motion date, I review the scene with the client if the arrest happened in area where it can be done safely.
- The client will gather any records that are needed to defend the case.
- Between the pretrial and motion date, I prepare and file any necessary motions and prepare the case for trial.
TIP : One of the more common compliments former clients make is how easy it is to contact Attorney DelSignoreHow Do I Research The Lawyer’s Experience In DUI?
Publications show a dedication to a practice area. Publishing a book or a chapter with a legal publishing company geared toward lawyers takes a tremendous amount of time to write and shows dedication to the area of DUI Defense.
TIP : Research into the lawyer’s website or ask the lawyer if they have published any books or chapters on DUI defense.
Attorney DelSignore has been published several times by Legal publishing companies, including in the following books.
- Facing an OUI Charge, What you need to Know, Published by WestLaw Aspatore Publishing.
- Published a Chapter on Cross Examining Police Officers in an OUI case for Witness Preparation and Proceedings, published by Westlaw
- Published a Chapter on Discovery in a DUI Case in Trends in DUI Discovery.
- Membership in National College of DUI Defense: Attorney DelSignore is an active member in the National College of DUI Defense, an agency devoted exclusively to defending drunk driving cases.
Attorney DelSignore attends two national seminars per year on drunk driving defense, consults with colleagues throughout the country regarding drunk driving defenses in other States.
To discuss your drunk driving case, call now for a free consultation. You can set up an appointment immediately, have your questions answered and let Attorney DelSignore evaluate your defenses and plan a strategy toward a not guilty verdict on your Massachusetts DUI charge.Should I hire a lawyer?
If you do not hire a lawyer experienced in OUI defense, you will not be able to make an informed decision on whether to admit to the OUI case or contest it at trial. Here are problems that could occur by not hiring a lawyer or hiring an inexperienced lawyer:
You May admit to a case that can be won at trial;
You May not understand the license implications at the RMV; I have received calls from individuals who admit to an OUI offense believing they were going to be suspended for 45 days, only to learn the Massachusetts RMV is imposing a longer suspension.
You may give up your right to a trial without having an accurate understanding of the court process.
Call 781-686-5924 or 508-455-4755 to schedule an appointment with Attorney DelSignore or to learn more about Massachusetts OUI Laws and Defenses.