What Happens if you are in a Car Accident with an Uber or Lyft Driver in Attleboro?
Injured in an accident with a rideshare driver? Uber and Lyft are increasing their presence in Attleboro, Massachusetts, as riders switch to the on-demand rideshare services. As the number of Uber drivers increases, the number of accidents is increasing as well. If you are involved in a car wreck with an Uber or Lyft driver, you should know your legal options include possible compensation by the driver and the rideshare company.
DelSignore Law understands that an auto accident can be more than an inconvenience; accidents can affect your health and wellbeing. Our attorneys are ready to help you understand your legal options and answer any questions you may have. Contact us at 781-686-5924 or by using our contact form so we can get started on your case.Were You Just in A Car Wreck With a Rideshare Driver?
If you are reaching this page because you were just involved in an accident, here are the things you need to do immediately:
- Stay calm.
- Make sure you and everyone involved is okay and safe. Get out of the way of moving traffic and identify if anyone needs immediate medical assistance.
- Call 911. It is crucial to call for emergency services if anyone needs medical assistance. Depending on the severity of the wreck, police and other aid may be necessary.
- Take photos of the wreck. If you can do so safely, make sure you document the position of the vehicles, the scene as a whole, and any visible damages or injuries.
- Take photos of any rideshare or taxi licenses displayed in or on the rideshare vehicle. Often rideshare drivers have devices mounted on the dashboard or near the rearview mirror that can obstruct their view. Take photos of this area to document the conditions of the vehicle.
- Get contact information from everyone involved and any witnesses.
- Get information from any witnesses and write down your thoughts about the accident and scene as soon as you can.
- Contact your insurance company.
You were riding along to your rideshare endpoint, looking down at your phone, and BAM. The car collided with another.
If you were a passenger in a Lyft during an accident, it was probably not your fault. You shouldn't be held responsible for the wreck just because you ordered the ride.
If you were injured or experienced any damages because of the wreck, you may be able to recover from the driver and the rideshare company. For example, Uber has a $1 million policy that can apply when an Uber driver has an accident while carrying a passenger. It shouldn't matter who is at fault or negligent. Uber's liability coverage should help all Uber passengers even if the other driver is at fault in the accident.
It's no secret that big companies like Uber and Lyft have more ability to pay on their debts than the people who drive for them do. To make sure you have the best chance of recovering your losses, you should speak to a lawyer as soon as you can after obtaining medical treatment.What to do if an Uber or Lyft Driver Hit Your Car
You were driving along going to work when a Lyft driver suddenly switching lanes broadsided your car. Who is going to pay for the extensive repairs? What if you have medical bills?
In Attleboro, Massachusetts' laws on independent contractors dictate whether the driver or the rideshare company is responsible for compensating your loss. Rideshare companies argue that they are not liable for the negligence of their drivers because the drivers are independent contractors and not employees.
But Lyft and Uber have begun to provide liability coverage for drivers. This means they may be financially responsible for accidents when the driver is working for them. The amount you can recover depends on if the driver has the rideshare app on, if the driver is going to pick up a passenger, or if the driver is carrying a passenger.Contact DelSignore Law Today. The Time You have to Pursue a Claim is Limited.
If you have been in an accident involving an Uber or Lyft driver, make sure you have a knowledgeable rideshare injury attorney on your side. Contact the experienced trial attorneys at DelSignore Law to fight for you and your loved ones. Take advantage of our free, confidential consultation by calling 781-686-5924 or using our contact form today.