Massachusetts OUI Roadblocks
3 Reasons Why OUI Roadblock Arrests Can Result in a NOT GUILTY Verdict
An OUI arrest in Massachusetts at a roadblock raises different issues than the typical OUI arrest. Such reasons include but are not limited to;
- You were not driving drunk, erratically or committing any traffic violations.
- You are typically allowed to drive into the pit area after being greeted by the initial officer.
- The officer has a greater predisposition to arrest you given that the purpose of the roadblock is to make arrests for OUI.
Legal Defenses to Roadblock Arrests: Motion to Suppress Hearing.
What is the Officer looking for in deciding whether to send me into the pit area?
The officer while speaking to you is looking to see if your eyes are blood shot and glassy, if there is any odor of alcohol on your breath or any other signs of drunk driving such as open containers of alcohol. Often an officer at a roadblock will attempt to obtain admission of drinking.
Can the evidence be suppressed?
Since the initial greeting at a roadblock must be brief, according to the State police plan, a Massachusetts DUI lawyer can attempt to have the evidence from the stop suppressed based on:
- The initial Screening officer deviating from the State police plan in greeting you at the initial checkpoint.
- Not having reasonable suspicion to direct you from the follow of traffic.
- Not complying with all of the details required by the Courts in conducting a roadblock.
Since a Roadblock is an extraordinary infringement upon the Constitution, being stopped for no reason at all, the police must comply strictly with the criteria set forth by the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court.
This provides many legal defenses to your case.
I was arrested at a roadblock. What should I do now?
If you were arrested at an OUI Roadblock, you should download Attorney DelSignore’s Free Special Report Regarding OUI Roadblock Arrests by clicking here.
If you have questions, please feel free to call 781-686-5924 or 508-455-4755 to discuss your case.
- Massachusetts DUI Roadblocks Common Throughout Holiday Season Roadblocks were a regular sight throughout Massachusetts over the holiday weekend - and they will continue to be through the end of the year. ....
- Massachusetts DUI Watch: Route 24 Enforcement One Hot Spot this Labor Day Weekend At least six more OUI arrests in Massachusetts have occurred along Route 24 since authorities announced increased enforcement in the wake of a string ....
- Massachusetts DUI Roadblock arrest involving fleeing motorist Fleeing a Lawrence DUI roadblock has resulted in assault charges and complications for one man's Massachusetts DUI defense team - not to mention it ....